Monday, February 10, 2014

Drilling Boring Tool Panel


Time is funny. Just the other day I was thinking, "You know, I really ought to upgrade my drilling/boring tool panel like I did to the saw panel a few months ago." Turns out its been almost 11 months! What?! Where did that time go? Deja-vu - I think Ive said this before...

Well, regardless of my lack of time reality, the idea was a good one. The drilling/boring panel was one of two pegboard panels still hanging on in the shop (yes, intended). It was time to convert it to something that not only works, but makes me happy when I look at it. (Dont get me wrong, I dont hate pegboard, but it just doesnt satisfy me at some level.)

Heres the before shot:


Besides making it look nicer, I wanted to expand the amount of storage to include new tools (some of which dont technically meet minimum "drilling/boring" requirements - oh well, Ill deal). The new panel would be slightly wider, and a good bit longer.

Construction-wise, I followed the same process as with the saw panel, with only one difference. I used a nice set of Sandusky Tool wooden match planes that were designed for the thickness of wood I was working with (3/4"). This let me avoid dealing with the "second tongue" effect that the Stanley #49 created, while at the same time leaving the tongue offset enough for beading the front edge, unlike the Stanley #48. Hmm - I guess progress isnt always progress is it?


And here is the final result:


I think it would look even better if I had the time to make all new shelves and holders, rather than just modifying the old ones (I did add one "new" shelf, but it was just a left-over from another part of the shop overhaul). Maybe later...

That just leaves on last pegboard panel in the shop, and Ill get to that soon. Soon as in next November?


No comments:

Post a Comment