Monday, February 10, 2014

The Village Carpenter Part III

Kari Hultman, The Village Carpenter.
Im wrapping up my three (3) parts series on The Village Carpenters Woodshop with the brief interview I conducted with Kari.

Even though I was once a college journalism major oh so many years ago, my interview skills, specifically my interview recording skills, were severely lacking when we spoke. The following is therefore my questions followed by my recalling of Karis answer, based on the cryptic notes I took. I think it still gets the points across, but Im very sorry, Kari, if I misrepresent any of your answers. I shall do better next time to accurately record the interview.

Q&A

Did you plan our your shop layout, or did it just evolve in an ad-hoc fashion?
The Village Carpenters Shop Overview
Karis shop has a planned layout. It was determined by the size of the shop, which was restricted by code and budget when it was purpose built. Rather than a drawing, Kari designed her layout using a plywood model.

As with any modest woodworker, Kari was quick to point our her mistakes (most of which no observer would qualify as a mistake). In shop layout, the two (2) mistakes which she regrets are not putting a 110v outlet in the floor next to the 220v outlet for her table saw, and not running water lines through here shop. The first mistake forces Kari to run an extension cord across the floor in order to power the dust collector which is connected to her table saw. The second means that there is no exterior water bib behind the shop, making the task of running a hose in the back yard much more difficult than it should be.

What is your favorite area in the shop? Least favorite?
The Dreaded Lathe.
Karis favorite area is at the workbench. She love detail work and working with hand tools, both of which happen at the bench. Her least favorite area is at the lathe. Though this may run counter to most lathe owners attitudes of that much loved tool, I for one share her opinion (though I do not own one (1) lathe, let alone the two (2) that Kari does). I think the common opinion and different ownership is explained by my indifference towards the tool and Karis desire to like it, regardless of her experience using it.

Shop Furniture, Build or Buy?
The Shop Made Sharpening Station.
Most of Karis furniture is built. In looking around the shop I think it actually surprised her to find that the only factory made shop furniture in site is her work bench. Besides the sheer enjoyment of making shop furniture, Kari explained that one of the main reasons its all custom built is that shes usually in no rush and can wait until a piece is ready.



Workbench, Build or Buy? What Style? Would you change anything about it?
Karis Factory Made Bench.
While discussing Karis bench, we both stated that we would like to build our own (barring the tool cabinet beneath her bench, Kari and I have almost the same factory made unit). While I plan to build a version of Bob Langs 21st Century Workbench as soon as I can, Kari was in no rush to build hers, and didnt know what type she wanted to build (though I have subsequently heard her say that she would like to build one soon and it may be the Roubo).

Favorite Activity in the Shop?
A selection of Karis Wooden
Plan Selection. Some, Made by
The Woman Herself.
Karis stated favorite shop activity is cutting wood with a honed (rather than sharpened or filed) blade. She loves to use her chisels, knives, axes and hand planes. She likes her axes so much in fact, Id dare not get between this woodworker and her bench for fear being introduced to the business end of one.





What Tool Do You own the Most of?
Karis Shop Made
Hand Tool Rack &
Plane Shelves.
Antique molding planes, by a long shot. And theyre all users. Not a display model among them.














The complete collection of photos from my visit with The Village Carpenter are available in my Village Carpenter Picasa folder.



Finally, after taking three posts to describe Karis shop, here is her own shop tour video. Clearly it does a better job and describing her shop than I do, and in much less time.


My Workshop from Kari Hultman on Vimeo.


Now, please stop reading and get out to your own shop. Its time for some sawdust.

The Village Carpenter, Part I
The Village Carpenter, Part II

No comments:

Post a Comment